Licensed by the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) of Singapore, SingHealth Experimental Medicine Centre (SEMC) is the country’s most comprehensive animal-based research facility, capable of carrying out large animal research. It is the first research facility in Singapore to be fully accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC), which certifies the centre’s commitment and adherence to the highest standards of humane care and use of research animals.
To view the brochure of SEMC, please click here.
For a list of SingHealth Core Platforms Equipment, click here.
Caring for animals in research
SEMC holds the welfare of research animals paramount. Its facilities and care of research animals conform to the National Advisory Committee for Laboratory Animal Research (NACLAR)
guidelines. Only upon approval from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
can research projects be carried out.
While most medical and surgical advances are not yet possible without animal research, SEMC is committed to upholding the highest animal welfare standards and applies the 3Rs to its practices: Replacement, encouraging researchers to replace animals with alternative methods, such as computer models; Reduction, reducing the number of animals involved in research to the minimum necessary to obtain scientifically robust results; and Refinement, minimising any negative impact on animals by using state-of-the-art anaesthetics and bio-imaging equipment.
Individuals and companies partnering SEMC will benefit from the expertise of its team of highly skilled personnel and its comprehensive specialist infrastructure that ensure that each research project meets the highest international standards.
Its proximity and co-location with medical institutions on SGH Campus offer its research partners additional benefits. The centre can tap the professional expertise of clinical specialists from more than 40 medical fields to design and conduct academic and translational research on campus.
Some of the core facilities and services SEMC offers its partners include:
- Holding facilities that support short- and long-term housing and maintenance of many species, including Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL2)
- Specialist imaging equipment, including Micro-SPECT/CT, Micro-PET/MRI, Xenogen, Photo-Acoustic Scanner, Nonhuman Primate PET-CT, Ultrasound, digital C-arm fluoroscope
- Surgical and support equipment, including equipment for micro-surgery and endoscopy
- Diagnostic and in-vitro laboratories, including serum chemistry, heamatology, bio and organic chemistry, BSL-2 virology, molecular biology and tissue-culture laboratories
- Access to diagnostic laboratories at SGH and other specialty centres on campus